Five Characteristics of Successful Teams
OpenView Partners is a venture capital firm. They have some wonderful stuff on their blog, and Jeff Sutherland often posts there.
Here is another great post based on research at MIT about successful teams.
Let me list the five characteristics.
- Everyone on the team talks and listens in roughly equal measure, keeping contributions short and sweet.
- Members face one another, and their conversations and gestures are energetic.
- Members connect directly with one another — not just with the team leader.
- Members carry on back-channel or side conversations within the team.
- Members periodically break, go exploring outside the team and bring information back.
There’s more. Go and read! Enjoy and make your team better. (Thinking and learning are not enough. “To know and not to do is not to know.”)